Thornhill, Ontario — Ottawa Champions RHP Jared Mortensen is the Can-Am League’s Pitcher of the Week for the week of July 8-14, as selected by PointStreak, the league’s official statistician.
Mortensen shut down the first-place Sussex County Miners in the first game of a doubleheader Friday, throwing a seven-inning complete game, allowing just three hits while striking out nine in a 6-0 Champions win.
The native of Abbotsford, British Columbia, is 4-2 with a 3.21 ERA on the season, fanning 52 hitters in 53.1 innings pitched while limiting opposing hitters to a .228 average. Mortensen is in his first season in the Can-Am League but his eighth season as a professional. Previously, the 31-year-old spent time in the Tampa Bay and Houston organizations, reaching as high as Triple-A. He also played part or all of the 2013, 2017 and 2018 campaigns in the independent American Association.
Can-Am League 2019 Pitchers of the Week
- May 20-26: Phillippe Aumont, Ottawa
- May 27-June 2: Matt Marsh, Quebec
- June 3-9: Kevin McNorton, Trois-Rivieres
- June 10-16: Frank Duncan, Sussex County
- June 17-23: Ishi Daichi, Shikoku Island
- June 24-30: Ishi Daichi, Shikoku Island
- July 1-7: Frank Duncan, Sussex County
- July 8-14: Jared Mortensen, Ottawa