The eight-team Australian Baseball League began its 2018-09 season this weekend, with a number of current and former Can-Am League players on its clubs’ rosters, highlighted by a season-opening four-game series between Adelaide and Brisbane:
- Friday saw a pair of former Can-Am hurlers facing off, with RHP Markus Solbach (pictured, Rockland ’16-’17) on the hill for visiting Adelaide against RHP Ryan Searle (Quebec ’18) for Brisbane. Solbach was outstanding in the Bite’s 5-3 win, striking out 11 hitters in eight innings of work to register the victory. He was aided by SS Mikey Reynolds‘ (Sussex County ’18) first-inning RBI double, driving in the first run of the game en route to a 2-for-5 evening.
- LHP Ryan Bollinger (Trois-Rivieres ’14-’16) was superb out of the bullpen for the Bandits, throwing a scoreless inning Thursday and two perfect innings in the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader. He has struck out five of the 10 hitters he has faced so far this season.
- Reynolds has started all four games for Adelaide, going 4-for-15 with two doubles, two RBI and two runs scored.
- RHP Kurt Heyer (Trois-Rivieres ’17) was the opening-day starter for Adelaide, taking the loss in Brisbane’s 5-3 win.
Elsewhere in the ABL,
- LHP Daniel Schmidt (Brockton ’11) offered a solid bullpen outing for Perth on Saturday, allowing a run on two hits in three innings of work, fanning two in Perth’s 11-3 win.
- RHP Scott Kuzminsky (Trois-Rivieres ’15-’16) is on Melbourne’s roster, but has yet to see action.