Dayton, Ohio — The Can-Am League announced on Tuesday the successful conclusion of its 2019 open tryout camp. Over the two-day event (April 2-3) held at Sanford Memorial Stadium in Sanford, Fla., 138 players tried out and six players were drafted. Scouts from the Arizona Diamondbacks and Tampa Bay Rays, as well as the Frontier League and Japan’s Shikoku Island Team attended the event.
“The Can-Am League’s open tryout camp had a fantastic turnout. It’s always gratifying to have our teams and events scouted and with that said, we appreciate all the organizations that attended,” Can-Am League Executive Director Kevin Winn said. “Everyone’s participation affirms the Can-Am League’s reputation of attracting quality talent. It will be exciting to see how the drafted players will do for their teams this season.”
The draft results are as follows:
- Ottawa Champions- Ricky Reece (pitcher)
- New Jersey Jackals- Chris Motta (pitcher)
- Trois-Rivieres Aigles- Derek Martin (pitcher)
- Rockland Boulders- Wascar Deleon (infielder)
- Quebec Capitales- Brandon Brosher (catcher)
- Sussex County Miners- Justin Kortessis (pitcher)
Entering its 15th season, the Can-Am League will begin the 2019 season on May 16. The league’s six teams will play a 95-game schedule which includes series against the Cuban National Team and Japan’s Shikoku Island Team.